Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's a Wonderful Film

I am coming out of hibernation to contribute a post to Sally's annual 12 Days of Christmas Movies. This year I am going to be talking about Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life. This post isn't as detailed as I would like it to be, but I hope it reminds you to check out this film this holiday season. (For last year's contribution, here is my post on Christmas in Connecticut.)

I know a lot of people see this movie as sentimental schmuck, but on the other side of the spectrum are those who find the movie too dark (like the original 1946 audience).

Recently I've read a few posts that [humorously] expound the fact that the world would probably have been a lot better off if George Bailey had offed himself…or better yet, that he'd never been born in the first place. While I believe we all interpret films differently and each of us is entitled to our own opinions, I respectfully disagree. Sure, there are flaws with this film. I'm not saying that it is perfect and that I love every part of it, but I think the overall positive and powerful message overcomes any negative aspects.

{Source}

This is not something that I have talked about much on here (since it is, after all, a movie blog), but I know what it is like to be depressed, to feel like your life is worthless, that it would have been better if you had never been born. Having felt this way I can really relate to what George goes through.

I think the beauty of this film lies not in it's perfectly conceived plot or airtight characterizations. It lies in the enduring message that each of us has a place in this world, that no matter how difficult or trivial our lives seem, or how many mistakes we make, we still matter. We have a role that no one else can fill. That message has a lot to do with the hope of Christmas, too. For isn't it a tiny Savior that came over two millennia ago to save us from our shortcomings, and to raise us to new life?

By now you might be thinking, "Um, Audrey, aren't you taking this a little far?" Hey, never underestimate the power of film!

Have a very Merry Christmas and holiday season, everyone! May God bless you all!

14 comments:

  1. Great post!! Thank you again for contributing!! I do love this film and agree that the message is really beautiful. It doesn't matter whether I watch it in or out of context, every time Harry toasts his brother, "the richest man in town," I get all teary eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Nothing about this film strikes me as overly sentimental at all. I find it starkly realistic and hauntingly wise, and the ending almost unbearably moving. I reserve my cynicism for films that deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Millie! I hope it didn't sound like I was coming down on your post. It was really very funny. I just wanted to reaffirm my own appreciation for this film. Have a merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the nice comment, Matthew (and not just because you agree with me... :D) Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting this, Sarah! Christmas movies are some of my favorite kind of films. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's a Wonderful Life" is a movie made by a man who understood the everyday trials and triumphs of everyday people for those of us who daily relearn the lesson that each of us is important.  I'm happy you focused on it this holiday season.  All the best for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this movie. =]

    -Kate
    WhileISipMyTea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though you're currently on a FAHH hiatus, I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a blog award (
    http://sophie-waitinonasunnyday.blogspot.com/2012/03/thank-you-thank-you-thank-you.html) because you're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet of you, Sophie! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, just stumbled onto your blog. very nice! I see you don't seem to post anymore, hopefully some day you will feel the need to talk about classic films again! 

    ReplyDelete
  11.  Thank you for your kind comment! Perhaps some day I will start this blog up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry...there he is! Right above! I forgot Greg Morris was in Bupkis too.... I don't watch this episode, it's not a favorite.... Apologies... please forgive!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...